We are passionate about helping young people to succeed and offer fantastic opportunities for young people between 16 to 18 years of age to kick start their careers in water sports and coaching. We deliver training to gain internationally recognised qualifications plus an apprenticeship salary in a supportive, inclusive environment.
We are now in the 5th year of delivering this programme and we currently have a 100% employment success rate for all those participants who completed their twelve months here – something we are very proud of!.
In the summer of 2017 we were inspected by the Learning Partnership who part-fund our programme and this is the summary of the Inspector’s findings:
“Overall The AHOY Centre is one of the most professional and positive places I have visited in 24 years as an inspector. It serves the community and makes a real difference to the lives of many people. Apprentices get a really good experience…and AHOY are making a real difference to the lives and prospects of their apprentices…” – Keith Abbott, Ex Ofsted Inspector
The prospect to gain a Level 2 NVQ in Activity Leadership, NCFE Certificate in Outdoor Activity, National Governing Body awards in Sailing, Rowing and Powerboating can be yours resulting in a potential full-time or freelance career in a number of industries.
What Information, Advice and Guidance (IAG) can I expect at The AHOY Centre?
We aim to provide you with comprehensive support through our Information Advice and Guidance staff. Your IAG STAFF will mentor you through your time at The AHOY Centre through regular input in your course and also 1:1 support where needed.
Our IAG staff can offer you the following services:
- Impartial and unbiased advice on the courses we provide.
- Information regarding the qualifications and career paths that our programmes offer.
- Guidance and support when you are facing personal difficulties.
- Referrals to other quality learning providers if our courses are not suitable for you, or we cannot meet all your needs.
- Assessment to make sure the course level is right for you.
- Access to employability support, helping you with CV writing, application forms, interview tips and your personal skills.
- Access to advice on progression into work or further learning.
- On some of our courses, we will help you access work placements.
Our commitment to you:
You can also expect:
- You will get free access to the Internet for job hunting.
- Your meetings with your Tutor and IAG Adviser will remain confidential.
- We will actively promote Equal Opportunities and Diversity.
- We will welcome the opportunity to receive your feedback on the quality of our service to you.
- We will actively strive to improve our services based on your feedback and our own Quality Improvement measures.
In addition to the above, we also offer Employer/Training provider engagement and currently engage with over twenty local and national employers and training providers including: Thames Clippers, Tideway Tunnel Consortium, Integer Training, L&G, and Salesforce. Throughout the course, there are many Employer/Training Provider engagement opportunities plus interview practice and coaching to assist securing employment and a career to be proud of.
Our programme is full-time, 35 hours per week for twelve months
We recruit and interview every May for a September start.
Modules and Qualifications provided:
- NVQ L2 Certificate in Activity Leadership
- Minimum Level 1 Application of Number
- Minimum Level 1 Communication
- Employee Rights & Responsibilities (ERR)
- RYA (Royal Yachting Association Qualifications
- BR (British Rowing) Qualifications
- First Aid
- VHF Radio
Activity Leadership Apprenticeship Framework and Financials are based on the following mandatory components:
- NCFE L2 NVQ in Activity Leadership Ref 60004137
- NCFE L2 Certificate in Outdoor Activity Leadership Ref 60004149
- NCFE L2 Employment Awareness for the Active Leisure and Learning Sector Ref 50118109
- NCFE L1 Functional Skills in English Ref 50116605
- NCFE L1 Functional Skills in Mathematics Ref 50123257
We are looking for participants with an interest in the outdoors and the ability to work as a team so if you are reliable, enthusiastic and have a positive approach then please do not hesitate in applying for this opportunity.